Booked to stay at this hotel through Amex platinum fine hotel and resort program. This hotel is so outstanding in so many ways:
1. Location. Excellent location right in the heart of downtown. You can walk everywhere and it’s very convenient. Lots of shops and restaurants nearby such as Joe Forte, Kirin, the Keg, Gotham and fast food. Not to mention the market by JG is right inside the hotel. A supermarket just next door.
2. Since we live in the metro Vancouver area so we arrived by car. We parked the car outside the hotel on the street (Alberni street) and parking is $4 /hr for a max of 2hrs. It was sufficient for us to park there and checked in at the hotel. Parking on the street is free after 10pm in that area. But there are some spots on thurlow that actually has free street parking after 6pm. If you are lucky enough to grab one of those spots then you are good to go for the whole night.
3. The room was booked through FHR so I emailed them earlier to ask about the possibility of the upgrade. While upgrade is normally done at check in but because there was a good number of rooms available so they gave me an exception of guaranteed upgrade. I booked a superior room and was given an executive king with balcony (2 categories upgrade). The room was also ready at 12 noon so we were able to check in early and we stayed till 4pm the next day.
For those who are not familiar with eh FHR program. It’s a program for Amex platinum carders and often you’ll get some benefits from booking for the participating hotels. Benefits are usually early check in if available, guaranteed 4pm check out, free WiFi, free daily breakfast X2, free upgrade if available, credit to be spent at the hotel, in my case $100usd, and sometimes get a night free if you stay 3 or more nights.
4. It’s It’s a pet friendly hotel and pet cleaning fee is $50 per stay. Its policy says one pet per room but they made an exception for our 2 small dogs. We paid a total of $100 pet cleaning fee. They had dog beds and bottled water ready in the room.
5. Their staff was very helpful and friendly throughout our stay. We felt welcomed whenever we walked in the hotel. The check in staff was very informative and took the time to explain the benefits of the FHR program. Breakfast is supposed to be enjoyed at the restaurant but they were able to accommodate us in the room because we had our dogs with us. The breakfast that is included as part of the package is you can order anything as long as the total doesn’t exceed $76.
6. The executive king room with balcony is beautiful, spacious, comfortable and clean. It has a separate sitting area and the bathroom is just luxurious.
7. There is health club in the hotel exclusively for hotel guests and chi spa customers. I used the pool and the hot tub. While it was still a bit cool to be in the pool but the hot tub was very nice.
8. We ended up spending the hotel credit of usd100 towards in room dining. At a hotel like this I did have high expectations for their food but I would say it was average. We ordered the black truffle burger, ceasar salad and iron flank steak. I hate to say but there is really nothing memorable about it. The service staff who pushed the cart in just left everything as is and didn’t even make the table for us. It was quite uncomfortable to eat on the cart as there was no room for the legs. We found out the next day during breakfast that the sides of the table could be pulled up which made the breakfast much more enjoyable.
We had a wonderful stay at the Shangri-la Vancouver and am very pleased that they honored everything as listed on the FHR program. This hotel is beautiful and staff are very friendly and welcoming. Definitely will try out the different Shangri-la around the world!
Shangri La Hotel Vancouver
A 5-star hotel just a 5-minute walk from Vancouver Art Gallery and the Robson Street shopping district. The hotel offers a full-service spa, a fine dining restaurant and views of downtown Vancouver
Shangri La Hotel Vancouver
1128 W Georgia Street
View Shangri La Hotel Vancouver on a map